Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Worlds Collide in North Sydney, NS

Revised 8/13/12

Both Buttery descendents and Scotts are buried in Lakeside Cemetery in North Sydney, NS. I think most Newfies have connections to this area, as it is "The Gateway to Newfoundland." Lots of stories. I gotta go here!
See an aerial view of Lakeside and North Sydney here: http://wikimapia.org/#lat=46.219381&lon=-60.278463&z=13&l=0&m=b
Capt. Thomas & Emily Scott lived on Beacon St. He died in 1944.

Other Scott Descendent Addresses
1 currently lives on Cottage St. and grew up on East St.

Buttery Addresses
  • Maud Buttery Amey: Minto St.
  • William Buttery: Minto St. (coalminer in 1911 census)
  • Eliza Beatrice Buttery Bond Sturge (Walter F. Buttery's youngest daughter): East St.; Worked (and lived with) for Capt. Wilson Mosher* on Pierce St. in 1932.
  • Ralph Bond (Eliza's son): Stanley St.
*The Mosher name has long been honoured in the annals of Nova Scotian seafaring. When the twenty-five ton schooner Golden Hind, homeward bound for Sydney, Cape Breton, with a Christmas load of produce from Prince Edward Island, struck on the rocks of Craignish, Inverness County, in a December snowstorm in 1926, it was Capt. Wilson Mosher, her master, who swam ashore with the lifeline through three hundred yards of surf, rescued his crew, and then swam back again to the vessel," so that he could be the last man to leave the ship, in accordance with British traditions of the sea." from http://www.1812privateers.org/Canada/index.html

5 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle, two blocks northeast of Beacon St. is Minto St. This is where Maud (Buttery) and Philip Amey lived.

    Bruce Amey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, that should read "northwest of Beacon St."

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Bruce! I was just looking at the 1911 census and it seems Maud's oldest brother William also lived on Minto! He's listed as a coalminer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there.. my name is also Michelle.. (shelley) I the granddaughter of Eliza Beatrice .. I was born and raised in North Sydney. She was the most amazing woman. I have 3 brothers. Nan had 5 children one died young and my aunt Audrey past 73 I believe. My dad Lorne and my 2 aunts Virginia and Florence still live in North Sydney. It's been awesome finding my history. Thank you for the information

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Shelley! So nice to hear from you! I have questions for you. I'd love to hear all about your family. Please contact me at your convenience at: newfiescott@gmail.com

      Delete

My Amazon Picks