Monday, April 9, 2012

The Amey Family

Thanks to this blog, distant relations continually pop up and I am always excited to hear from these fellow family researchers. Yesterday afternoon I was excited to see an email come in from a member of the Amey family, and with the info. he supplied me, I was able to track down more documentation.

My great grandmother Eliza had a sister named Maud who died pretty young. She married Philip Amey and they had a daughter (also named Eliza) who died at the age of 4. Until yesterday, this is about all I knew, but now have since learned the following and have been able to establish a timeline. Here are the facts:
  • Maud's full name: Maud Elizabeth Buttery Amey (1893–1929)
  • The Amey family came from Burnt Island and their original name was AMY. Philip Amey (Maud's husband) was born on Dec. 27, 1887, to Phillip Francis Amy and Elizabeth Jane Parsons. Philip had 2 brothers (William and Arthur), and 3 sisters (Eva Maude, Beatrice, and Lillian), and they all migrated at some point to North Sydney, NS.
  • Maud and Philip had 3 children--Eliza, Philip "John", and Hilda J. who were all born in North Sydney in 1914, 1917 and 1920, respectively.
  • Daughter Eliza was 4 when she died of influenza in 1918, and documentation indicates she was  buried at Lakeside Cemetery in North Sydney where other members of the Amey family are also buried.
  • They migrated to New York, USA (Niagara Falls) in 1924.
  • A 1930 census has father Philip, John and Hilda all living with Philip's sister in Niagara.
  • In the 1940 census they were living at 2934 Nevada Ave., and they are still listed at that address in a 1959 city directory.
  • Hilda Castricone died in Buffalo in 1998 with 3 children, 5 grandchildren and 3 great grands.
Maud Buttery Amey with daughter Eliza and with sister Eliza Buttery Scott (far right)

3 comments:

  1. Great blog! I'm glad that I found it. Nice to make the connection between our families.

    Bruce Amey

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice, will try to see what i can find out on it. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there may be a family link: http://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Amey-Descendants-80

    I was entering in Billard family info, and came across the marriage record for William Amey, who married Amelia Billard in 1909 (above link has link to source docs). William's parents are listed as Philip and Jane. Philip was listed as an artist, so I thought I'd google him to see if any art existed. Instead, I found this page. Hope/wonder if this adds to your family history; I'm still not sure exactly how it links to mine (Amelia's parents are listed as Gabriel & Mary Billard, and Gabriel's a very popular first name for the Billards out of Newfoundland).

    ReplyDelete

My Amazon Picks